Tuesday morning, my due date, I went in to get checked and still hadn't dilated farther than 2 cm. The doctor wanted me to wait another week but then we'd be missing Grace's psychological evaluation results appointment and I was NOT going to have that happen. We already pushed it off a month and I couldn't do it again. So I pleaded and he gave in :) He said, "How about tonight?" So I impatiently waited until 8 pm and Brad and I were in the hospital. It was SO hard to leave Grace even though I knew she was in good hands. I got a blessing at home and that went well but right after I picked up my bag, I broke down and cried because she's never been away from me like this (except one trip to Utah) and it's hard for me to leave her and I worry that she doesn't understand. Anyways, so my hormones went crazy, I cried, gave her SO many kisses, and off we went. They started me on a pill to get my cervix to soften since I was only at a 2 cm and 75% effaced, so that went from about 9 pm to about early morning. And that's when the pitocin was started to get things really moving along! I kept texting my mom and Kailyn and asking them to tell Grace I love her, I miss her and other things like that. I worked really hard to go without an epidural but around noon I just couldn't handle it anymore. I was at 4 cm and tried a few different positions and all of a sudden the contractions were just back to back without a break. I tried to keep my emotions in control but I just lost it, so the anesthesiologist was called! The contractions were still back to back through getting the epidural put in and it was so hard to hold still, but I had a great nurse to talk me through the pain and the anesthesiologist was so patient. Actually, all the nurses were extremely good and so patient with all my questions. I was so worried we'd have the same issues as we did with Grace, and I didn't want these problems again and so I was so scared. Anyways...
So, after I got the epidural in they had me lay flat and then the anesthesiologist hung around for awhile to make sure sciatic nerve was completely numbed (it didn't with Grace) and to clean up from the procedure. It was about 12:50-1 pm when he left the room and within a few minutes, I was feeling SO much pressure down there. I thought it was just gas, though, and tried to get Brad to not go out to the nurses but I'm so glad he did because Levi was RIGHT THERE! The nurse checked me and didn't have to go in far at all. So she went out and called the doctor and I was so worried he was going to come without anyone in the room with me. I pushed probably about 4-5 contractions and there he was!! Daddy didn't get to cut the cord because the cord was around Levi's neck, but he didn't really mind. They put the baby on a towel on my stomach and had his nose and mouth sucked out and then headed to the warmer. I asked to do skin to skin but I wanted him cleaned off and dry first :) Here are some pictures Daddy got...
I don't know if the above picture was from after the fact or right before he came...
Anyways, the labor and birth went great, and he latched RIGHT on. I was frozen as he lay there screaming on my chest because I had blanked on how to do anything! I didn't know how to hold him, move him and was so worried about breaking him, so the nurse that's in the picture above helped me. She was so surprised he latched on so well and correctly at that. So the rest of the night was just getting the feeling back in my legs, bonding with Levi, and just getting used to the new life. That was Tuesday and Wednesday. He came to us at 1:18 pm and weighed 7 pounds 11 ounces. He was 20 inches tall and has such stringy looking legs and arms! That evening I felt good enough to move to the mother and baby unit, so I showered and then we headed to the new unit. Now it's Thursday and we leave this afternoon! Levi was up ALL night. He was cluster nursing and so he either screamed while I let my chest rest, or I was a constant feeder. I got about 1 hour of sleep cumulatively, but then he slept from 8-11:30 and then was taken by the nurse to get his hearing checked again. They are also going to suck out his stomach because he has been choking a lot and she thinks it's amniotic fluid that's not clearing up. Hopefully he'll be ok by the time they bring him back. Someone came in to take pictures of him so I ordered some prints for family for Christmas, and that's pretty much been our day. Here's a picture of my super yummy breakfast, and then random ones of Levi.
We are now home and all is well. Grace doesn't want to hold Levi but thats ok. She's got a long time to be able to hold him. Grace was napping when we got home and so MeMa took care of Levi while I napped. Grace and I both woke around 5:30 pm and we all had dinner together :) Grace was very interested in my nursing Levi so she got a lesson on what I was doing and why. It's amazing how nursing came back to me so quickly and how comfortable it is to me. And I've pretty much let Grace do whatever she will around or with him and if it's something that could be bad, then I talk to her about it. I don't want to push her away because then she could start resenting him, so I won't freak out if she touches, pushes the swing, etc. "What will it harm?" is what I'll ask before freaking out. :)
Now I'm exhausted so I'll close for the night. Grace and MeMa are reading, Brad is playing a video game next to me, I'm being a pacifier, and Kailyn is chatting with me.
Amanda















No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for messaging me! I love to hear from those that have visited :)