Today was an Elk Grove and Galt kind of day. For many years I've been asking my mom where her dad's grave is, but I'd never get a location. And I don't know why it's bothered me so much because he died when I was 7, so I don't remember him at all, but it really did bother me. So I figured that after we visited a friend in Elk Grove and had some yummy In N Out, we'd try to find the cemetery. Well, what a day we had!
It's so weird because these girlies didn't know one another before we moved to Idaho, and they don't see each other, obviously, unless we are in California, but I swear they act like they've known one another for their whole lives, or even before they were born. They are so sweet to one another, and Grace just absolutely loves playing with Evelynn. I wish we could live closer to one another so she could have such a good friend, but families need to be where they belong, you know? I'm just so glad she's got a girly she can visit with while we are in CA.
We had a super duper yummy lunch...one that I ALWAYS take Grace to when we're in California. I just love treating her to a place that I love to eat at. The milkshake was her most favorite part, of course, and she was such a big girl to ask a worker for a bag all by herself! She asked for one, followed her to the counter, took the bag and said thank you, and then walked all the way back to the table by herself! That's by independent girly.
We found the grave. There it was, just there with flowers that my grandmother had put on it. I cleaned the plaque and Grace helped me take off all the dead grass, and then she fluffed the flowers (they're fake) to make them look bright again. I don't know what I was expecting to feel, but there wasn't much. I explained to Grace what this plaque was for, where his body was, and where his spirit was now, but beyond that, we used this moment as a time for me to finally be able to say that I know where his grave is. As we walked back to the car we looked at all the graves that we passed, Grace cleaned some here and there, I read the dates and told her the ages, and she was so sad for the ones that were kids.
I took her over to see the area for the military veterans and fallen soldiers, and she was so solemn and respectful. I just love this girl.
And of course, later on, it was definitely time for some Sesame Street!!!
And when it was time for bed, who gets caught playing with mommy's cords? LEVI!! This little guy has the stickiest hands in the world. I just can't believe it.
Love you kids!
Amanda/Mommy









No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for messaging me! I love to hear from those that have visited :)