Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Horrible Day

Grace woke in the morning with a nasty cough.  At first, it was hear and there.  I contemplated taking her to school, so much that she was actually dressed and we were headed to the door.  But then the cough, which I kept telling myself was just a tiny thing caught in her throat, became a horrible wet cough.  One nasty enough to alert the red flags in my head that say, "SHE'S SICK."  That was NO FUN.  The day pretty much spiraled out of control, health wise.  It was pretty surprising, really, to see how fast it went downhill.  Wet cough, to wet nose, to an open faucet nose, to a VERY CRANKY DAUGHTER.  She wasn't hungry, which is normal with her when she gets sick.  I'm glad she was drinking, and so I wasn't too worried, but by naptime, her breathing became extremely fast, and she had the worst wheezing I've heard from her in...forever.  After nap she seemed to get better and so I didn't take any drastic action, but at 4:55 I called the doctor because her chest was retracting, the breathing was so rapid that she sounded like a panting dog, and the nose was nonstop running.  The doctor said it was too late (they close at 5) and so I took her to the emergency room.  Finally, at 8:30 pm, we got out of there.  No RSV, a double dose breathing treatment that really cleared up her breathing issue, steroids and motrin.  She did as well as can be expected for a three year old, but she really did NOT like the sticky O2 monitor on her finger. 

It was pretty sad because right when she was set on the table, she went to the pillow and laid down.  The nurse that was there said, "Wow, she sure knows what to do.  Good girl."  And the doctor said, "That's not a good thing."  He is SO right.  I hate that she knows what to do, but I'm glad that she knows what to do so that I don't have to tussle with her as much as normal children.  

She's 36 inches tall and 26 pounds.  She's been 36 inches for forever, but I'll have to check up on the weight to see if she's gained more.  I think she's gained two pounds, which is so exciting!!

All in all, I'm glad it's over.  She went right to bed, slept like a baby, and I got to eat dinner at 10 pm.

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for messaging me! I love to hear from those that have visited :)