Friday, October 15, 2010

Water Therapy

Grace had her first water therapy on Thursday, and I was so excited to finally be starting her in that warm pool! Of course, I got her there 15 minutes late...I really have felt like the world doesn't want me to get her there. I n all actuality, this was her second session, because the first one was just an "on land" session to see where Grace's strengths and weaknesses were. Anyways, I rushed her into her super cute bathing suit and got her into the arms of her new therapist, and I sat back and watched. I loved watching Grace in the water, weightless and free to move her arms and legs how she wanted. The therapist put some weights on her legs so they would stay down and the first thing they worked on was just floating around on a kick board to get used to the water. After this, Grace was supposed to stand up on the kick board to work on her balance, but she was so against standing on it! If she could have, she would have put her foot down and said, "no!" But she was able to stand on the stairs, which was pretty good.

After this, the pair worked on the ramp with taking steps, and with just the therapist moving Grace's hips from one side to another, Grace was able to take the steps she was supposed to! I love watching Grace's movements to the side to go get the foam letters that were stuck a ways down the pool wall...it was like seeing an angel among me.

Riding the horsey...well, the foam horsey! This was the next thing, and Grace was so curious about this horsey! She straddled the foam floaty and the therapist would bob her up and down, and this was another way for Grace to work on her balance. She was supposed to hold on to the front, but she was kinda nervous, so she would hold on for a couple seconds and then let go. But she did so good!! Up and down, up and down. My big girl doing so well in the water. I think the greatest thing was that she did it without me having to be there right next to her. She was okay being with another person that she didn't really know, working on hard things for her little body!

Last for the day was to work on the floating mats. This was the toughest thing for Grace, and she showed her dislike for it. But the therapist knew this would happen, so that's why she waited till the end. This was where the sitting up and balancing, as well as getting up and down from sitting to both sides was worked on. Grace did show her disapproval, but still worked hard :)

Ahh...I was so happy watching Grace in the pool. It was so hot inside because it was a heated pool, and it was a hot day, but right when I saw Grace, right when I saw her legs stepping like they should, everything but my love and happiness was on my mind. Every so often, I would glance around at everyone else...I saw a parent who was so enveloped in her talk with her other two people she was with that she didn't see her about 6 year old daughter with Cerebral Palsy glancing over all the time to see Mommy being happy for her, cheering for her, clapping. I was right at the edge of the pool. I was so glad to be going through this with Grace, being there for her. I was so thrilled I could show her my happiness, that I could smile, and clap, and "WOO HOO" if I felt like it! If I had gotten any closer, I'd have fallen into the pool! And I could have gotten in with them, but wanted her to be able to focus with her therapist. Oh, my love :) She's so wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for messaging me! I love to hear from those that have visited :)