Saturday, April 28, 2012

Grace's IEP meeting

So I'm super excited to announce that we've got Grace's transfer to the Madison School District meeting coming up!!  It's on May 16th, and I'm just so happy that's finally here.  Now, this isn't the one where we discuss WHAT is on her IEP, but we are discussing what her diagnoses are, what tests she's taken/needs, where she is on development, and then scheduling her IEP meeting.  I'm really excited because this is just one step further to the "big school" for her!!  I'm also super excited because I don't want to be railroaded by people who know the school system better than me.  So I'm going to research IEP's, the states legislative laws/codes about school systems and special needs, and the school's specific special needs program and qualification system.  I'll also be updating her binder with the latest paperwork, making copies of the "7Q36 Gene Deletion" information packet (the only information ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD about her deletion), and getting another copy or getting my old copy back of Grace's medical files from her Oakland doctor, which is all her MRI, ultrasound, surgery information.  I made the mistake of giving it to her spina bifida clinic doctor WITHOUT telling them to make a copy of it for themselves and then giving it back, so I have to do that when we go in a month!!  Granted it will be too late for the meeting, so I'm hoping to call and have them shoot me a copy in the mail in time.  Grace gets to go, so I'm hoping they will all love her and she won't be scared.


Imagine...I will advocate for her in front of the entire school board...AH!!  Deep breaths, lots of preparing, and lots of educating myself, and I should be fine.  May 16th, and I need to find a good suit to wear...and a nice hair style.  Hm...I might have Kailyn help me out with the hair style. :)


Amanda

PS.  I'll keep you updated on how preparing goes, and then about the big day.  Technically, the real big day isn't until we put together the IEP, but still, this is big for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for messaging me! I love to hear from those that have visited :)