I can't believe the capacity children have to learn things...it just astounds me! I can't believe that in just one day, Grace can learn a new sign, and some days, more than one! We've had a lot of very good days with little Grace, where we've been busy learning signs, learning spoken words, and learning how to walk and stand. We've had so many successes!! Grace will now go to stand at the wall by herself without being too scared! Amazing!! And just this morning, she said shoe...with her voice!! Of course she knows it by sign, but the voice is what we want to hear more. And as I was dressing her this morning, she not only helped me pull the shirt down on her head, but she also lifted each leg so I could put her pants on. And the real amazing thing about this...well, amazing to me...is that I haven't really "taught" her. We haven't had any formal lessons where its "here Grace, this is how you do this or that." It's just been me, putting her clothes on time and time again, and her picking up on the cues and remembering them, and starting to help!
She also loves walking. Absolutely loves walking in her walker. If I pick her up to cross a street or whatever, she gets so frustrated, and signs "more more more" and points to her walker! She loves the freedom it brings her, and hates when we are all done with it! It's so beautiful to see her on her own, independently walking, and I can absolutely say my arm is LOVING the break! But I still get my snuggle time in there, as she doesn't use it all the time!
She now knows "bird". If she sees a bird, chicken, duck or whatever else, she'll point to it and sign it. I'm so happy!! And speaking of signing, she's getting so much better at signing two words in a sentence instead of still doing just one sign. She's also really good at going and getting something when asked, or bringing something to me when asked. It's so awesome to say, "Grace, go get the ..." and she does it as long as she can see it!! And what I love the most about this is if she's got something, she'll use her mouth as a third hand while bringing the item to me!! Just this morning, she had a comb in her hand and it was just TOO big, so she stuck it in her mouth and started crawling over to me! Smart girl!!!
Gosh, I just love this kid!! I'm so glad she's mine!!! And I'm so glad I'm learning so many things from her!
Oh I didn't even say!! Two nights ago Brad watched her for 2 hours while I was at a friends house, and I heard the most wonderful words when I got home. Before I tell you though, we've been having many discussions about me going back to work because I must be bored at home (I'm not.). I don't want to since Grace needs me so much, but he didn't always see that need, so he didn't understand. Well, when I came home I heard from him, "OK!!! She IS a full time job!!" YES!! I told him to repeat himself about 20 times, and I danced around doing a little jig because he finally understood! Later (after laughing at my dance) he told me he'd spent the whole time feeding her!!! YES, that's IT! He'd let her feed herself, which was a disaster! He had to keep cleaning and getting more food for her because not much ended up in her mouth. And when I had come home, she had no shirt on, super food caked and wet hair, and she was laying down drinking her chocolate milk, and it was slowly pooling on her chest :) SHE WAS SO CUTE!!! Even that messy, she was adorable!
Well, it's time to go to her therapy play group now, so we're off!
Amanda
Delicious and Simple! 3 Dutch Oven Dinners
5 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for messaging me! I love to hear from those that have visited :)