I'm so excited to announce that I FINALLY got into Grace's play room and turned it into a play/homeschool room!! I've wanted to do it for a long time but the task just felt so daunting!! But I worked on it for two days, and put the hubby to work, and got it done. I think the main thing I'm surprised about is that we were able to fit the 20 boxes of food storage that WERE against the wall in the closet, with all the other food storage!! That was the main reason I didn't want to tackle the room. But now that it's done, I'm HAPPY!!

So the first picture is me walking into the room. Do you see Pooh Bear over there sitting on the horse in the corner? Yeah, that was where the boxes were! The screen in the window..yes...there's a huge hole...my husband used to have Great Dane's and they did that. Anyways, back to the room :) The white and blue top box is where all my curriculum books/paperwork will go :) She can sit on top and play on it and it won't ruin my curriculum. The piano in the middle is not only a piano, but a desk too, you just pull the yellow down and then it's a desk :)

I love how clean everything is. That letter list though...my goodness. I had to fight and argue with myself on where that would go. I had it on the opposite wall, but it wasn't in just one line. It had to be two rows. And I just didn't like that! Yes, I'm anal. But it took me 20 minutes or so to decide to finally put it on the wall it is on now because I had to move a bunch of stuff around!! Oh, the caterpillar rocker is great for her balance, so that stayed in the room. Her balance is pretty bad when she's sitting on something that isn't completely flat, so we work on that for therapy.

I think with the room being this clean, it won't feel so overwhelming for Grace. And now that she's learning to "put in," we will be working on cleaning up after herself! The horse bouncer/rocker/whatever is for her trunk strength. We do therapy with that to get her to bounce herself, which is not only fun for her, but strengthens her trunk!

Rocker and "Montessori Inspired" shelves. Not the buckets themselves, but the ideas of what's inside. One topic or subject for each bin, and not an overwhelming amount. I am glad I worked at a Montessori Preschool for 1 1/2 years!! I don't like the structure too much (it was much too "child grow up fast" for me, but I liked the structure and chance for the child to be independent). Anyways...The purple dog plays music, and I will have it play "nighttime music" when it's time to settle down for circle time... I guess I could call it one on one time!

The shelves on the left I just LOVE because they are her height!! We finally got her some puzzles, which I'm also excited about. The paperwork on the blue/white box is my inventory. I stored more than 1/2 her toys in the closet, and will rotate them monthly so they are used, and so she won't get bored with what she sees.

Ok, her bucket shelf...I will start from the top left and move down just like if you were reading...A-Z alphabet spinners (will help with letter recognition, fine motor skills), Pinball machine (helps with gross motor to push the button down, color recognition, listening skills), Purse (fine motor skills to open the purse, and there's bracelets inside to help with hand-eye coordination to put them on, giant lipstick for facial recognition of where to put it and dramatic play, and keys for color recognition, counting, and dramatic play), Music/Body Bear (helps with body recognition of limbs and body parts, songs to help with body coordination when dancing, fine motor skills to push the buttons), balls (fine and gross motor, practice throwing, color recognition, counting help, aesthetically pleasing *the spiky balls*, texture differences, same/different grouping, bouncing lessons, big/small grouping), blocks (counting, tower building, color recognition, animal sounds/names *one block has a duck, one a bird, and one a frog*, fine motor skills *squeezing the block to make it quack, and pulling a cord on another block to make it vibrate*, throwing practice, shape recognition, word acknowledging), 4 ducks (name recognition, color recognition, counting practice, sound practice *quack*, fine motor skills *they can be squeezed*, dramatic play, song playalong *Four Little Ducks Went Out One Day*, body recognition *mouth/beak, arms/wings, feet, eyes*, Laptop (works on counting, animal recognition, animal sounds, fine/gross motor skills *it has a mouse and buttons to press*), music play (Tamborine for gross motor of shaking, as well as the maracas. We will also make a guitar and drums to add to this box, which will help with art, fine/gross motor *painting*.), ABC snail (ABC recognition, pull/push activity *has wheels and a string to pull*, color recognition, body coordination to dance, button pushing fine motor), books (fine motor *pointing at the words*, gross motor *turning the pages, pulling the books out and putting them in...also hand/eye coordination, animal recognition, color recognition, letter recognition, animal sounds, independent reading time), and a block puzzle (hand/eye coordination *this is much to hard for Grace to do now, but it's good to have her see what it is*, animal recognition *once completed with Mommy's help*, shape recognition, hand/eye coordination to bang two blocks together, tower building, counting). So a toy isn't just a toy!!

Her other shelf...the ball spinner (hand/eye coordination to make it spin, strength in the arms to push it down, color recognition, cause/effect), puzzles (hand/eye coordination, fine motor skills to grasp pegs, color recognition, animal recognition, animal noises), "babies" for dramatic play, counting, color recognition, and the one with the elephant sticking his nose out are all different stuffed animals for animal recognition, color recognition, animal sounds/names, counting, dramatic play.

Here's her desk with the yellow desk pulled down.

This is the inside of my box for the curriculum. This will soon be full of all my fun ideas, paperwork, books, and more!!
All in all, a wonderful clean room is my gift to myself!!
Amanda
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for messaging me! I love to hear from those that have visited :)