Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Our Garden Up to Date

I'm so excited about our wonderful garden! And actually, the fun, but weird, thing about this year is that we didn't plant CORN! We usually do corn, but since we have an above garden sprinkler system, we can't have corn. Last year our corn did horribly because all of it's powder from the tops was shot off by the sprinklers! But that just means we get to pack in a bunch of other things!! So, our list is here: Tomatoes (36 plants), 2 20 ft rows of green beans, and 2 20 foot rows of peas, 3 pepper plants, 5 assorted squash, zucchini, and cucumber hills, and later in the season will be broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach and lettuce.
The picture above shows the right side...And the picture above shows the left side :)
This is another area of the yard that had to be surrounded because of the chickens and dogs.

There are a couple new books that I've been looking into and they are pretty interesting! One is called: Basic Country Skills. This is a very interesting book that is ALL about self-reliance, but they do have a major section for gardening. I like this one because it goes SO in-depth that there's a section written on EACH fruit and EACH vegetable from A-Z!!

Go to fullsize image

Another book I like is: Making the Best of Basics. I like this book because it's got a lot of information of food storage, water storage, wheat cooking/storing, animal keeping, SPROUTING, and then goes to the gardening part of the book! I put sprouting in CAPS because I'm going to start learning how to do that :)

Go to fullsize image

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for messaging me! I love to hear from those that have visited :)